Forum guidelines
AuthorQuestion
How should be the Resume format for Experienced canditate
Posted By Jaganathan Bantheswaran on 06 Jul 2011
Hi All,

Please provide some guidelines for preparing resume for experienced[1 - 2 yrs] candidate.

And also give some samples.

Mark as "This is correct Answer", if it helps you.
AuthorReply
Re: How should be the Resume format for Experienced canditate
Posted By Zoran Horvat on 06 Jul 2011  
Sorry if I'm being rude, but the title made me laugh a bit - it's basically a contradition in terms.

And if you want it serious - experienced candidate knows that there is no such thing as resume format, or at least every resume has its own format. On my latest interview I didn't even submit the resume, and I was the most experienced candidate to show up.

Employers want to know what you know and what they can expect of you, so make a couple of visually separated sections providing your formal education, previous employers and previous major projects. Make it short or nobody will read it. One A4 page or 1-2 screens of plain text will be quite enough. I never wrote  resume in any other format than plain text - nothing that would beautify the resume has nothing to do with programming skills that I'm trying to present.

Prioritize things so that only most important ones get into the resume. Explain in couple of words your tasks in each of the major projects, and don't try to make impression that you've been the moste valuable player on those projects. Keep low number of projects listed, e.g. up to five (you may mention others in a word like: ... and number of smaller ones - that adds seriousness in your business).

The way in which you do the sections will basically show what kind of person you are as well, so try to keep away from copying some generic resumes etc. (that urge to copy things also shows a kind of personality, which I don't like to feel present around when doing programming).

Zoran

Posted By Jitendra Sampathirao on 06 Jul 2011  
Hi,

1.Write about your experience
2.Technical skill set
3.Awards:
    Mention certifications etc
4.Company Names: Time
Project Name and your role in that project..

If this post helped you, then tick the "Do you like this Answer" checkbox.
Posted By Sandeep Shekhawat on 06 Jul 2011  
I think resume not always matter  in INDIA.

I have 1 Year experience.Good Knowledge of Asp.net with C#, Strong Command on Sql server 2005,Ajax.I prepare resume from at 10-12 quality format. I have worked on Windows and web application and some time silverlight.

But actual thing  i notice if you have any refereance in that company ur resume consider and shortlisted other wise no matter how ur resume build.

My all friends work on 20000 INR per month and i 6000 INR per month difference only referance because i will prepare there resume and they have reference so call him no matter they have knowledge. So Don't Worry about Resume format.

So Brother prepare resume:
(1)reverse chronical order.
(2)Mantion Technical  skill and project first 
(3)If 1 yr exp add Educational Qualification at last
(4)Add at least 3 project latest first.
(5)Show ur achivements and privious experience

Thank You for reading.If my post is helpful Tick It is Correct Answer.

Hi Zoran Horvat,

My question may made you to lough if you are experienced. i asked this question as i am experiencing[0.9 yrs].... as a fresher, I prepared a good resume with education, personal... etc.. for searching job. But i dont know how should be the resume for the experienced one... Thats why i asked this.

Sorry if I'm being rude,

Zoran keep mum if you are not interested to answer this question. Nothing there to lough.
being a fresher for IT, i am asking the persons who can help to prepare resume for the candidates who are jumping from fresher to experienced.

Posted By Vilas Gite on 06 Jul 2011  
Hi Jagan..
I am not here much experienced but i request to you, i think its not moto to laugh on your post by Zoran and zoran answered by his way. So dont mind Jagan. As per Sandeep, in India this is way of Selection by recruiter but dont care this one too.
@Jagan.....Be Simple but Sample.

Watch Great Movie, its old but well yet... I saw every week or month. 
"The Old Man and The Sea"---best movie. Movie motive to viewer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this reply hepls your post…then "MARK AS ANSWER"!

Mahesh Chand
accepted
Posted By Mahesh Chand on 06 Jul 2011   Accepted Answer
Posted By Zoran Horvat on 06 Jul 2011  
Jagan, don't take me wrong - I don't mean to harrass anybody on the forum, but just said what I meant. Maybe in India CVs get looked upon in a different manner, but in Europe where I'm working for 10+ years (in several countries), that works like what follows below. I've been interviewed dozen of times and I have been an interviewer for more than 100 times so I know very well how it goes here. One day if you remember this conversation, you will find the title "resume format for an experienced candidate" a sort of funny as well. And here is the explanation.

Inexperienced guy sends a thorough, well aligned CV with lots of details. From that I see that he's dedicated to be listened to and interviewed. From details I see whether he sorts things out correctly or mingles them (meaningless projects with major projects, typically, which indicates inability to distinguish what is important in a project). If an effort has been put into writing the CV, then it is a message on its own. If CV is obviously copied and only modified from some template (which is easy to recognize), that is a seriously wrong message and I don't invite such candidates.

Now, when candidate looks sincere and serious about the CV business that really does mean that he's inexperienced but that is not a bad thing. Interview then shows what can be expected by the candidate if hired. Major thing in IT business is this: One is a good candidate if capable to learn. And learning comes afterwards anyway, regardless of experience.

Once a guy becomes experienced, interviews go like this. He already knows many people for years. He wants to change the company. Hence he phones, or MSNs or contacts in other ways friends and asks whether their companies accept new people. If so, the experienced IT professional doesn't send CV but says: do you want me? That's it. Interview goes with serious questions: deeply set questions about projects; questions about leading projects, about architecture, about architectural solutions to hard problems, stuff like that.

That is how it works in my country Serbia, and in UK where I've been working a lot. It's similar in US as far as I've been involved. Sandeep has also mentioned similar things about "people who know people" in India, so I believe it's the same at your region. I know how hard it was for me to dig up 10 years ago and i know how easy it is now. Difference is not much in my knowledge, but in experience.

Zoran

Thanks mahesh.

@Vilas Gite .. Is this the way of answering as an experienced one [Zaron] to a freshers question ?. Its all right Vilas.

As my word.. Be simple & sample... always.....

Ok Zoran. Thanks for your explanation.

@Mahesh - Is my Question wrong ?

Posted By Mahesh Chand on 06 Jul 2011  
Question is fine!

Zoran, that is correct. In INDIA, you get screened first based on your resume. Once  your resume is selected, then you get called. Same thing in USA. First you send resume. If resume is bad, you will not get the call.

Let's close this thread!

C# Corner
Posted By Sam Hobbs on 06 Jul 2011  
I hope I may add a comment.

I think there is a difference in the way that an interview is done when the interviewer is a technical person that also does programming. So Zoran is obvioulsy a programmer also so his determination would be more relevant to the actual capabilities of a candidate. Many interviewers are not programmers so they must rely on indirect methods to evaluate a candidate. A manager that is not a programmer is likely to be influenced by a resume.

Thinking is a feeling; pleasant for some and unpleasant for others.
Posted By Jonathan Trott on 07 Jun 2012  
We have a unique database which provides you with the results you want fast, efficiently and at a fraction of the price compared to other resume databases. For more detail please visit u.
-----------------------------------------------
Find Candidates Online

SPONSORED BY

Custom Software Development
MCN is your source for developing solutions involving websites, mobile apps, cloud-computing, databases, BI, back-end services and processes and client-server applications.