Forum guidelines
AuthorQuestion
C# Set precision
Posted on: 04 Nov 2011
I want to set the precision or make sure i am getting the precision by 2 decimal points, at the moment once I read in the value, its rounded off to the nearest dollar if you know
what i mean.

Can some assist me. I want to set the precision by two decimal places.

if (reader["PRICE"] != DBNull.Value)
  {
  Row.PRICE= Convert.ToDecimal(reader["PRICE"]);
  }

AuthorReply
Re: C# Set precision
Posted on: 04 Nov 2011  
I am notn for sure if  the dataset is rounding off ronot, I just got stepping throught some of the vale, I am getting the decimal places, but when I look at it in the grid view the output is rounded to the nearest  dollar

Posted on: 06 Nov 2011  
Do the decimal conversion at sql statement level or you can use Math.Round or .ToString ("#.##")
Mark as Answer, on the posts reply's that helped you !!!.
Posted on: 06 Nov 2011  
In C#, the decimal type always has a precision of 28 or 29 digits.

How you display it is another matter.

As well as the methods which Suthish mentioned, you can also use the F2 format:

decimal d = 12.3456m;
MessageBox.Show(String.Format("{0:F2}", d)); // 12.35

Posted on: 07 Nov 2011  
So after stepping through the code. I am actually getting the decimal point. I wonder once I call the fill or add to the dataset, it rounds everything up. I am not for sure. I just know when i got to preview the data, everything is round to the nearest dollar, and there no decimal point

Try creating a strongly typed dataset and bind your records.
It sounds to me as if the problem lies with how you're formatting numeric strings in the GridView, rather than how you're retrieving them from the database.
Im not for sure if the dataset is defualted this way or not, but how would you fix it, I simply just added records. How to verify the precision to make sure it's behaving with decimal places.

If 'ds' is the DataSet and 'MyTable' is the name of the DataTable, then you can check whether the PRICE column is a decimal or not with this line:

bool b = ds.Tables["MyTable"].Columns["PRICE"].DataType == typeof(decimal);

I found the issue, in my table design,

my types were  decimal (18,0)  instead of decimal (18,2). I suck. I am so mad. I have beed tracing this for the last two days. Im glad i save this to the end. This would have killed me. lolololol

As I replied before, Do the decimal conversion at sql statement level .
Give me an example of what you are talking about. Even though I have fix the issue already setting the precision this way in the designer.

decimal (18,2)

Employers - Post Free Jobs

SPONSORED BY

Custom Software Development
MCN is your source for developing solutions involving websites, mobile apps, cloud-computing, databases, BI, back-end services and processes and client-server applications.