Forum guidelines
AuthorQuestion
Bugs and Faults
Posted By Laura Parker on 17 Feb 2012
I am very confused with these two terms- Bugs and faults, I am not able to differentiate between both of them. Could anyone here help me out for this?

AuthorReply
Re: Bugs and Faults
Posted By Satyapriya Nayak on 17 Feb 2012  
Hi Laura,

Error: A discrepancy between a computed, observed, or measured value or condition and the true, specified, or theoretically correct value or condition.

Failure: The inability of a system or component to perform its required functions within specified performance requirements.

Bug: A fault in a program, which causes the program to perform in an unintended or unanticipated manner.

Fault: An incorrect step, process, or data definition in a computer program, which causes the program to perform in an unintended or unanticipated manner.

Defect: Mismatch between the requirements.

Thanks

If this post helps you mark it as answer
Thanks

Posted By Vulpes on 17 Feb 2012  
I would say there's no difference between the terms 'bug' and 'fault' in software development - they both mean the same thing though 'bug' is less formal.

My view is supported by Wikipedia which says:

"A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug

Posted By Sam Hobbs on 18 Feb 2012  
As Vulpes indicates, there is no formal definition. One possible distinction could be that a bug is the symptoms and a fault is the cause, but that is more of a guess than anything definitive.
Thinking is a feeling; pleasant for some and unpleasant for others.
Posted By Sean Stewart on 20 Feb 2012  
Fault & Mistake: wrong coding done by Developers
Bug/Defect : A bug or defect is a flaw in a system or system component which may cause the system or the system component fail to  perform its desired action.

Download Free eBooks

SPONSORED BY

Custom Software Development
MCN is your source for developing solutions involving websites, mobile apps, cloud-computing, databases, BI, back-end services and processes and client-server applications.