Employers - Post Free Jobs
Forum guidelines
AuthorQuestion
Bugs and Faults
Posted on: 17 Feb 2012
I am very confused with these two terms- Bugs and faults, I am not able to differentiate between both of them. Could anyone here help me out for this?

AuthorReply
Re: Bugs and Faults
Hi Laura,

Error: A discrepancy between a computed, observed, or measured value or condition and the true, specified, or theoretically correct value or condition.

Failure: The inability of a system or component to perform its required functions within specified performance requirements.

Bug: A fault in a program, which causes the program to perform in an unintended or unanticipated manner.

Fault: An incorrect step, process, or data definition in a computer program, which causes the program to perform in an unintended or unanticipated manner.

Defect: Mismatch between the requirements.

Thanks

If this post helps you mark it as answer
Thanks

I would say there's no difference between the terms 'bug' and 'fault' in software development - they both mean the same thing though 'bug' is less formal.

My view is supported by Wikipedia which says:

"A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug

Posted on: 18 Feb 2012  
As Vulpes indicates, there is no formal definition. One possible distinction could be that a bug is the symptoms and a fault is the cause, but that is more of a guess than anything definitive.
Thinking is a feeling; pleasant for some and unpleasant for others.
Posted on: 20 Feb 2012  
Fault & Mistake: wrong coding done by Developers
Bug/Defect : A bug or defect is a flaw in a system or system component which may cause the system or the system component fail to  perform its desired action.

http://www.getzephyr.com
Employers - Post Free Jobs

SPONSORED BY

Offshore Software and Database Development
MCN is your source for developing solutions involving websites, mobile apps, cloud-computing, databases, BI, back-end services and processes and client-server applications.