Forum guidelines
AuthorQuestion
c# resume parser
Posted on: 15 Feb 2010

hello friends,i want to build a resume parser in c#..freinds put your valuable ideas here..
actually what i wanted to do is extract certain information from resume(ex name,phone,carrer objective,skills)etc etc and save these values to database...any help is appreciate...

kiran
AuthorReply
Re: c# resume parser
for info show here

Please check my answer if you help.....

Thanks ....Lalit.

sorry lalit,it did not help me much...can you give me a rough idea?
kiran
hi friend,

There are various types of resume formats you can not do this just by doing it by XML. If you write a code then it'll be specific to  a particular type of resume format. so better to provide a form to enter these information for user.
You can refer to the Job Career sites like Naukari.com and Monster.com for this task. They also use the form to grab information from user not from the resume.

Hope this helps.

=====================================
Amit Choudhary
MicrosoftMVP MindcrackerMVP Blog: www.cshandler.com
Follow @vendettamit

hi amit,you provided me some useful information,thanks amit.
but in a site like naukri,as soon as the user uploads the resume,information from the resume is extracted to respective fields,u might be knowing this.(name is extracted to name field,carrer objective is extracted to objective field vice versa)
i wanted to do some thing like this..is it possible with xml...i have converted resume to xml..but the xml code is huge and not understandable..i cannot read the node's value programatically...i have posted this question in many forms but i did not the the information what i wanted..it would be grateful to you if you provide me some good information...

kiran
Send me your XML File in mail which you are trying to parse ..that you have converted from doc..if it has specific format then its possible to parse it .

kirtan007@gmail.com

MY BLOG ( www.codestructs.com ) | MY SITE

Kirtan
 Patel   BCA   MCA (SEMESTER-IV)  MINDCRACKER MVP WEB HACKER

hello kirtan,
 In a site like naukri,as soon as the user uploads the resume,information from the resume is extracted to respective fields,u might be knowing this.(name is extracted to name field,carrer objective is extracted to objective field vice versa)
i wanted to do some thing like this..is it possible with xml...i have converted resume to xml..but the xml code is huge and not understandable..i cannot read the node's value programatically...i have posted this question in many forms but i did not the the information what i wanted..it would be grateful to you if you provide me some good information...

kiran
in Naukri.com they store resume in text format it self they are not parsing from it because if were parsing its not possible to parse with technique which you are telling because every user writes resume in its own format .so its impossible to figure out who has written in wich format ...so machine can not understand it if it has predefined format then its possible .else not ..

Kirtan

kirtan,you have provided me some good information..if a site like naukri stores the resume in a text file,how they extract information to respective fields,put your valuable ideas..i messaged about this as you are a active member in this forums,expecting help  from you
kiran
Here is Screen shot from Naukri.com of my account on it ..

they are not parsing it from out posted Text We Have to write it Manually in Fields :)

but still as suggestion if you want to do this kind of task you need to get input from user in specific text format to do this type of task.

Kirtan

yes kirtan, i agree with you,just look into the entire process after that,key skills will be extracted separately and the objective is extracred separately vice verse...now to be clear what should i do to extract  desired content and put it in a multi line textbox...
kiran
Hi Kiran

I dont find any field in naukri.com that taking Automatic values from posted resume can you post screen shot of field which takes automatic input ..??send here or in mail :)

Kirtan

as soon as the resume gets uploaded,our personal information will be taken out and it will be accomadated in separate block...like wise ourpersonal skills etc etc..many jon portals do this...
kiran
i will mail you what exactly i wanted with screen shots tomorrow...sorry if i am disturbing you much kirtan
kiran
Posted on: 04 Mar 2011  
I read the whole thread.But did not get any solution about resume parser.Can you please provide the solution

Posted on: 04 Mar 2011  
Its not a simple task and no direct way. Might using Regular Expressions will help or try for third party softwares or open source projects.
Mark as Answer, on the posts reply's that helped you !!!.
Posted on: 18 Mar 2011  
Sanjib, are these resumes formatted in a manner that a computer program can easily find the data that is needed or are they formatted for only people to understand? The data is probably not formatted in a manner that can easily be obtained by a computer program. Regardless, you will get better help if you create a new thread (discussion) and explain your specific problem better.

The data probably must be processed by people; a data entry type of person that specializes in that. You can probably write a program that can get some of the data automatically. I might have more suggestions but please start a new thread for that.

Thinking is a feeling; pleasant for some and unpleasant for others.

SPONSORED BY

Offshore Software and Database Development
MCN is your source for developing solutions involving websites, mobile apps, cloud-computing, databases, BI, back-end services and processes and client-server applications.