How to Configure Best Bet in SharePoint 2010 Search
In this article, I am showing you how to configure Best Bet in Search.
Suppose we are searching on the term "tasks" to find possible tasks to work on. As we know, the word tasks is a term used in many sites, many results with the word tasks in them might be returned which may not be relevant to us. We need to create a keyword and Best Bet term for tasks to ensure that we are shown the tasks list in the current site at the top of the search results. Assume we already have a site with a task list created in it.
Create a Keyword and a Best Bet
Keywords and Best Bets are manually configured by a site collection administrator and are a great way to target important information in your search results. When a user enters a keyword into the search box, the Best Bets are displayed as part of the search results at the top of the page marked by a yellow star.
The main things involved in this are:
- Create a new keyword.
- Create an associated Best Bet for the keyword.
Create a New Keyword
- In your browser, navigate to your home page of your site.
- Click Site Actions, and then click Site Settings.
- In the Site Collection Administration section, click the Search Keywords link.
- In the Manage Keywords page, click the Add Keyword link.
- In the Add Keyword page, in the Keyword Information section, enter tasks into the Keyword Phrase text box.
Create an Associated Best Bet for the Keyword
- In the Add Keyword page, in the Best Bets section, click the Add Best Bet link.
- In the Add Best Bet dialog, enter: https:\\hostaddress/lists/tasks/allitems.aspx in the URL text box
- Enter in Team Tasks in the Title text box.
- Click the OK button, and then click the OK button in the Add Keyword page.
You should now see your keyword show in the list on the Manage Keywords page.
Testing How the Best Bet Impacts Search
When a user enters a keyword into the search box, the Best Bets are displayed as part of the search results at the top of the page marked by a yellow star. Putting the Best Bet at the top of the search results ensures the user will find the document for the given keyword.
Execute a Keyword Search and Check the Best Bets
- In your browser, navigate to the home page of your site.
- Enter the word tasks into the Search text box, and then click the Magnifying Glass to execute a search.
- Observe that Team Tasks shows up at the top of the search results with a link to the URL of the page.