Here we see how to create a new Record Center, configure a Send To connection, and use the Document ID service and Content Organizer to route documents based on content types and column values.
Here we will go through the following sessions:
- Creating a Record Center.
- Configuring the Send to connection.
- Customizing your Record Center.
Creating the Record Center
In this exercise, you create the Record Center site collection that you will use throughout the rest of the lab.
Creating the Record Centre
- Open the SharePoint 2010 Central Administration web site by going to Start | All Programs | Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Product | SharePoint 2010 Central Administration.
- Select Yes if a User Account Control (UAC) dialog displays asking if you would like to give this program permissions.
- When the SharePoint 2010 Central Administration page opens, click the Create site collections hyperlink under the Application Management section.
- Set the following values for the site collection properties:
a. Web Application:
b. Title: Record Archive
c. Web Address:
d. Site template: Records Center (see Figure 1)
e. Primary Site Administrator: [your user account]
- Click OK to create the site collection.
Explore the Record Centre
- Browse to the site collection you created above:
Figure 2 - The Record Center home page
- In the Site Actions section, click Manage Records Center:
Figure 3 - Manage Records Center
Configure the Send To connection
Get the URL for the Official File Web Service
- Open the Record Center you created in Exercise 1.
- In Site Actions, click Site Settings.
- Click the Content Organizer Settings link in the Site Administration section.
- At the bottom of the page, in the Submission Points section, find the URL for the official file web service. See Figure 4.
Figure 4 - Submission points
- Copy the web service URL to the Clipboard.
Task 2: Configure the Send To Connection
- Go to the SharePoint 2010 Central Administration home page, and click the Configure send to connections hyperlink under the General Application Settings section.
- In the Connection Settings page, fill in the values for a new connection:
a. Display name: Send to Record Center
b. Send to URL:
Web application url/records/_vti_bin/officialfile.asmx
c. Send To action: Move and leave a link
d. Explanation: Moved by Send To connection
Figure 5 - Connection Settings
- Click Add Connection.
- Click OK.
Customize Your Record Center
Task 1: Create a Structure Within the Record Center
- Open the Record Center you created earlier
- Click Records Library in the left navigation.
- Open the Documents tab in the Ribbon.
- Click New Folder, and create the following folders:
a. Expense Claims
Figure 6 - Three folders created in the Record library
Configure the Document ID Service
- Open the root site collection of the Record Center: /sites/records
- Click Site Actions, and then click Site Settings.
- Under Site Collection Administration, click Document ID settings.
- On the Document ID settings page, ensure that the Assign Document IDs checkbox is selected.
Figure 7 - Assigning Document IDs
- Change the automatically generated prefix to CRID.
- Click OK.
Configure the Record Centre with a Content Organizer Rule
- Open the Records Center Management page by going to Site Actions | Manage Records Center.
- Click Add New Item in the Content Organizer Rules area.
- Add a rule with the following values:
a. Name: Expense Claims
b. Content Type Group: Document Content Types
c. Content Type: Document
- Set up a condition.
Figure 8 - Adding a condition to a Content Organizer rule
Send a Document to the Record Center
- Create a new, empty Word document and save it to your local hard drive as ExpenseClaim.docx.
- Open the Record Center home page:
- Click the Submit to Record Center button.
- Click the Browse... button and find the document you created in step 1.
- Click OK.
- Set a title: Expense Claim
- Click Submit.
- The document is sent to the Drop Off library, and routed through the Content Organizer to the correct location in the Records library.