As you know PHP is a server-side scripting language; it is mainly used to develop websites and web-applications. Since it is a server-side scripting language you need a server to run your PHP files. For this there are two options i.e. either you get your web hosting account or setup your own server. I find setting up your server is a better option so here I will tell you how to install it. I use the WAMP server which is automatically configured for PHP, MySQL, Apache and PHPmyadmin. Just click on the following to download the wamp server:
Download either the 32-bit version or 64-bit according to your requirement.
After installing you will get a shortcut on your desktop; start it by double-clicking it and then you will get a wamp icon in your taskbar.
Click on that icon to get a menu:
- localhost - it will open the address of localhost in your web browser.
- PHPmyadmin - this is an installed alias which will help you manage your databases.
- www directory - this is the directory where you will place you PHP files/projects to run.
- apache - manages apache extensions.
- PHP - manages PHP extensions.
- MySQL - manages MySQL extensions.
That was all about installing the wamp server i.e. setting up a localhost.
The next article will be a very simple article just explaining a "hello world" program in PHP; until then install PHP.