SharePoint Apps overview
- Apps for SharePoint provide a new method to deliver specific information or functionality to a SharePoint site
- SharePoint 2013 introduces the "Cloud app model", it enables you to create apps
- Microsoft will host and control a public SharePoint Store, where developers will be able to publish and sell their custom apps for SharePoint
- SharePoint apps have self-contained functionality that extends the capabilities of a SharePoint web application
- Apps are essentially web applications that run "outside" of a SharePoint host web
- It's an easy to use, stand-alone app that solves specific end-user or business needs
- We can use any language for creating the apps, such as HTML, PHP, .NET and web development tools and so on
- By using "NAPA" we can create SharePoint apps
- We can use the Client Object Model (CSOM) to talk to SharePoint
- .NET for Synchronous
Refer the below Article for SP Apps,
SharePoint SPFx overview
- SPFx was introduced in SharePoint 2016, and it is one of the new features in SharePoint
- SharePoint app model development is used before SPFx, it was introduced in SP 2013
- SharePoint apps client web parts are loaded inside the IFrame so takes some to load but SPFx is not like that, it is very fast.
- We can use the SPFx in SharePoint pages and SharePoint Modern site pages. In the previous Article we saw how to create modern site pages and how to add the web part inside the modern site pages.
- Client-side web parts are client-side components that run inside the context of a SharePoint page.
Client-side web parts supports below
- Both SharePoint online and on-premises environments.
Refer the below Article for SPFx Creation:
Steps to Install the app
Follow the below listed steps to install the Apps & SPFx webpart
Before you install the app make sure that app should be uploaded in app catalog.
Refer to the below URL to upload the app in appcatalog,
Open your SharePoint site
Go to site contents page using gear menu or left navigation as shown below
On the site contents page click on “Add an app” to install the app
Then select “From your organization" on your apps page.
On the organization page select the app which you want to install, I’ve selected helloworldsample client side webpart for the installation
After you selected the app, Installation will be started as shown below
Finally app or client side web part installation will be done in your SharePoint site
The same above steps to install the SharePoint apps are also in SP online.
In this article we have explored how to install the client side webpart (SPFx) and SharePoint hosted apps in SharePoint online site.