Assume that you have 4 Servers in your farm, 2 APP and 2 Web front end. APP1 is hosting your Central Admin. Also take a note of current SharePoint build number from Manage Server on Farm under system settings.
Thus let's get started with the steps,
- Download your latest Cumulative Update or the update; which you want to install from Microsoft official site.
- Once downloaded, copy and paste it across all the Servers in Farm.
Sometimes we also have a file with .cab extension, so make sure that you keep an Application file(.exe) and .cab file in the same folder.
- We always start with the Server that host Central Administration in our case was APP1. Thus, we run EXE file on APP1.
- After installing it on APP1, we go ahead with APP2, followed by WFE 2 and lastly WFE1.
- Once the installation of Cumulative Update is done on all the Servers, go to APP1 Server and run SharePoint Configuration Wizard.
- You should run it in same way when you installed Cumulative Update.
- After successful completion of SharePoint Config wizard,go to Manage Server on Farm under system settings. It will have the new build value.