Most anticipated Apple's iPhone 5 was announced today at Apple's event. It will start shipping on Sept 21 with various carriers. You may already pre-order iPhone 5 now.
The new iPhone 5 is 18% longer, 20% lighter and has a 4 inch display, Retina Display of 326 pixels per inch.
Here are the key improvements and highlight with some new images.
- New A6 SoC: ARM Cortex A15s Processor
- Will be on LTE carriers include AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and
- New EarPods: Headphones with a
‘breakthrough design’, shipping today for $29.99
- New iSight camera is 25 percent smaller
- Pricing And Availability: $199 For 16GB, $299
For 32GB, $399 For 64GB.
- New dock connector called Lightning and it's 80 percent smaller
On the other side, iPhone 4S drops to $99, iPhone 4 now free and Apple discontinues the
Here are some cool images.
For an in-depth description of the specs, Engadget has the story here
. Below is an updated summary of the newest features.
- Encased with glass and aluminum, the iPhone 5 is 20% lighter (112 grams) and 18% thinner (7.6mm) than the iPhone 4S.
- Despite the lighter design, iPhone 5 features a larger, 4'' screen with in-cell technology on the touch display. Apple's updated Retina panel is 1136 x 640 (326 ppi) with a 44% enhancement of color saturation and sRGB rendering. With the larger screen, another row of icons now fits on the home screen.
- iWorksuite, Garageband, iMovie, and iTunes have all been updated
- 4G LTE, "Ultrafast Wireless": in the US, Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T can immediately make use of the single, LTE data and voice chip inside.
- A6 processor: 22% smaller than the previous model and 2 times as fast as the 4S.
- Battery life, an area often criticized on the 4S, is said to be more efficient on the iPhone 5, allowing up to 8 hours 3G talk time and LTE browsing, up to 10 hours with Wi-Fi data usage, and 225 hours on stand-by.
- New, smaller "Lightning" dock connector: 8-pin, all digital design, 80% smaller than its predecessor (an adaptor can be purchased for accessories taking the old charge).
- Camera: in the back, an 8mp sensor (3264 x 2448), 5 element lens, f/2.4 aperture, 40% improved shutter speed, 1080p video capture, and a dynamic lowlight mode with up to 2 f stops better performance in the dark. The front cam includes FaceTime HD and a backside-illuminated sensor (720p).
- Microphone: 3 (front, back, bottom) compared to 2 on the 4S, including 5 magnets compared to 2 on the 4S. Voice quality and Siri both get improvements from the new system. The headphone jack has also been moved to the bottom of the phone, as on the iPod touch.
- iOS6: new Maps application (Siri navigation, 3D building view, and satellite imagery), direct Facebook and Twitter integration on apps, and Passbook for organizing tickets and boarding passes). iOS6 comes out September 19.
iPhone 5 is available for pre-order now
and will ship on September 21st.
Apple's official press release can be viewed here