You heard it right. Choose C# over VB.NET. Why? Because C# programmers get paid more than VB.NET. That's reason #1.
OK, wait. Let's take a step back.
I've been consulting for many years now and I work on both C# and VB.NET depending on the client's requirements. I've seen more clients are migrating from Java to C# or VB.NET C#, not counting C++ to C# but I still see many sticking with VB to VB.NET route.
Both languages support almost every thing. There is not much difference besides syntaxes and minor performance differences.
If you are a manager and want to know which language you should choose, here is the answer.
- If you are migrating from C++ or Java, C# is the choice. Don't even think about VB.NET.
- If you are migrating from VB, then you may have to think if you want to put your team into a learning curve of a new language? In that case, you may want to stick with VB.NET. However, your team has think more object-oriented. VB.NET isn't VB anymore.
If you are a programmer, you may want to think sharp, C#. Here is why -
- Averate salary/rate for a C# programmer is more than a VB.NET programmer. Click Survey link.
- C# sounds like more object-oriented (sharp) than VB.NET even though both are pretty close.
- C# compiler is faster (even though very little)
- Our site is C# Corner ;). Ok, this one is not a reason.
What you think?