In this article we will be seeing about blocked file types in SharePoint 2010.
Each Web application maintains a list of blocked file types that is based on
file name extensions which can be restricted from being uploaded or downloaded.
Using Central Administration:
- Go to Central Administration => Security => General Security => Define blocked file types.
- Select the web application from the drop down.
- Type the file extension that has to be added in the blocked file types.
- Click on Ok.
Using Visual Studio 2010:
- Open Visual Studio 2010.
- Go to File => New => Project.
- Select Console Application from the installed templates.
- Enter the Name and click Ok.
- Add the following references.
- Add the following namespaces.
o using Microsoft.SharePoint;
o using System.Collections.ObjectModel;
- Replace the code with the following.
string webAppUrl = "http://serverName:10/";
string addBlockFileType ="aspx";
string removeBlockFileType ="asp";
SPWebApplication webApp =SPWebApplication.Lookup(new Uri(webAppUrl));
Collection<string> blockFileTypes = webApp.BlockedFileExtensions;
foreach (string fileExtension in blockFileTypes)
// displaying all the file extensions that are blocked
// adding blocked file type
// removing blocked file type
Build the solution.
All the file extensions from the blocked file type will be displayed as shown in the following.
A new file extension "aspx" is added and the existing file extension "asp" is removed successfully.