Microsoft Silverlight is a cross-browser; cross-platform plug-in for delivering the next generation of .NET based media experiences and rich interactive applications for the Web. Silverlight offers a flexible programming model that integrates with existing Web applications.
To host Silverlight Application there no need to perform particular deployments. However, appropriate MIME Types have to be added to the IIS.
In Windows Server 2008 IIS 7.0
All MIME types needed to support Silverlight are implemented by default in Windows Server 2008 IIS 7.0 and Windows Vista SP1.
In Windows Vista RTM IIS 7
Windows Vista RTM customers can add mime types by running "IIS Manager", clicking on "Mime Types", then clicking "add" and adding the following mime types:
- .xap application/x-silverlight-app
- .xaml application/xaml+xml
- .xbap application/x-ms-xbap
In Windows Server 2003 IIS 6.0 (Using the IIS Manager User Interface)
1. Go to Start\Run and type inetmgr to run IIS Manager
2. Right click on the server name and select "Properties"
3. In the Properties Dialog, click on the "MIME Types" button
4. In the "MIME Types" Dialog, click the "New" button
5. In the "MIME Type" Dialog enter one MIME Type at the time: