This quick how do I shows how to use a Hashtable in C#.
Creating a Hashtable
The Hashtable class in C# represents a hashtable. The following code creates a Hashtable:
- private Hashtable hshTable = new Hashtable();
Adding Items to a Hashtable
Add method of Hashtable is used to add items to the hashtable. The method has index and value parameters. The following code adds three items to hashtable.
- hshTable .Add("Author1", "Mahesh Chand");
- hshTable .Add("Author2", "James Brand");
- hshTable .Add("Author3", "Mike Gold");
Retrieving an Item Value from Hashtable
The following code returns the value of "Author1" key:
- string name = hshTable["Author1"].ToString();
Removing Items from a Hashtable
The Remove method removes an item from a Hashtable. The following code removes item with index "Author1" from the hashtable:
Looking through all Items of a Hashtable
The following code loops through all items of a hashtable and reads the values.
- IDictionaryEnumerator en = hshTable.GetEnumerator();
- while (en.MoveNext())
- string str = en.Value.ToString();